Jeep Cam: John Head Road

John Head Road is a bumpy, winding road – at times, closer to a trail – that connects Centerline Road to the North Shore Road.

There are some outstanding ruins on this road, as well as several beautiful villas, most of which are reached before John Head Road gets dicey on its lower third leg.

This road would eat a Prius alive, but with 4-wheel drive and a little patience, it’s quite passable, even after days of rain.

It also takes about 15 minutes to drive the mile it covers, so we’ll speed it up for you. John Head Road, in fast mode, below!

28 Responses to “Jeep Cam: John Head Road”

1. buddy
    December 3rd, 2010 00:44

It looks like all the recent rain did some major “work” on the road. I’ve been on that road many times and this was by far my speediest trip. thanks

2. MikeS
    December 3rd, 2010 06:45

Those are the best ruins on the island. Did that road last May, pretty fun.

3. mbw1024
    December 3rd, 2010 07:22

um. I think I’m a little sick! I did enjoy the backing up part though!

4. Carib Mark
    December 3rd, 2010 07:49

I thought you wrote that it would be in “fast mode”? 😉
    Downhill is a lot easier than up.

5. lorijo
    December 3rd, 2010 08:24

I’m a little nauseated but then I also have a hangover…that was a fun ride!!!

6. Colleen
    December 3rd, 2010 08:51

Weeeeeee!
    I’ve been a chicken to go down that road but I may try it next time! Thanks guys~

7. Debra
    December 3rd, 2010 09:14

What a ride! Loved the little chipmunk voices, sounded like Alvin in fast mode!!! Been down that road, but I think we turned around, we’ll have to try it this trip!

8. Bob
    December 3rd, 2010 09:24

Great Ride!

9. Dune
    December 3rd, 2010 11:17

Big smile on my face. Even more fun when you meet a vehicle that is coming up that road. Thanx

10. Jeremy
    December 3rd, 2010 12:41

Love the map feature before the video in the post. That helps alot.

See ya in 127 days!

11. Sandy
    December 3rd, 2010 14:38

Is this road before you get to the Smoothie stand?

12. Tom
    December 3rd, 2010 14:42

Some of the islanders told me there has been funding to pave this road but somehow the money gets diverted elsewhere each time.

13. Nancie-PA
    December 3rd, 2010 22:42

Wheeeeee!!! Arms in the air, hair blowing back,big grin on my face….wait, what? You mean that wasn’t a roller coaster ride?!

14. Chicago Steve
    December 3rd, 2010 23:51

Woohoo! better than a roller coaster. Great Jeep Cam! Thanks.

15. Debbie
    December 4th, 2010 00:56

My oh my! I don’t think a rental car would be covered for traveling that road. Is that a one way? By the way, do they having towing service on the island? I never see any of the cars broken down. I can imagine that their transmissions last long.

Hapy Saturday! Really missing St. John!

16. Debbie
    December 4th, 2010 01:00

It looks like some of the roads we traveled in Tortola a few years ago – scared to death!

Oops! I had a few typos in the last message, I guess I need to go to sleep!

17. Diana2
    December 4th, 2010 08:21

The owners of villas in Catherineberg don’t want the road paved and I can’t blame them. Too many people would be driving through there if it were. I’ve stayed in Cathereberg many many times and have met water trucks and cement trucks on that road and believe me it was scary to say the least. Thanks for the ride.

18. Jonathan
    December 4th, 2010 08:49

Roadtrip!

19. SteveV
    December 4th, 2010 09:49

U-r-r-p! Can you pull over to the side of the road NOW, my stomach feels a little flippy-floppy!!! Will you promise me that when you make you Jeep Cam dvd, when you make the “Director’s Cut” portion, you will swap out the wonderful JeepCam soundtrack and, just for the heck of it, replace it with the Benny Hill theme…with the saxophone? the map graphic is a fantastic addition, please keep it, for those of us who haven’t been to St. John for a while it’s great to see just where you are.

20. kygirl
    December 4th, 2010 10:00

We just returned from a wonderful trip to St. John and we stayed in Catherineberg. John Head Road is that rough, but it sure was alot of fun! I don’t blame the owners for wanting to keep it that way or it might become a frequently used shortcut. It’s a VERY slow and bumpy ride the way it is!

21. kygirl
    December 4th, 2010 10:06

By the way! Thanks guys!!! I’ve been hoping you all would do a jeepcam of this drive for years!

22. Tim
    December 4th, 2010 11:02

Love the Jeep Cam. Thanks for the ride, it’s been awhile.

23. Dale and Greg or Greg and Dale
    December 5th, 2010 20:18

Thanks for taking our suggestion! We love driving down that road once every trip. Stop at Catherineburg ruins for a while and poke around and then make the trek to North Shore Rd. Its helpful to have well-padded seats at times! 🙂

24. Pianogrl
    December 6th, 2010 15:45

Love Jeep Cam!!!
    Love this road also. We stayed at one of the villas in Catherineburg (one behind the green ‘gate’ shown) & love this drive!
    The ruins are not to be missed either…they are great! It really is a beautiful drive; at least to our villa….the other part is just FUN!!!!

25. Eric
    December 6th, 2010 19:21

Just did the ride today I was driving and it was a blast. My passenger was a bit white knuckled.

26. J. Lowe
    December 7th, 2010 10:05

Now that is what I call the road less traveled. Thanks for the cam guys we miss STJ!

27. Beth Wrathall
    January 1st, 2011 16:27

Used to walk this road years ago, in May rode it first time I was the driver & I prayed all the way! Its not the only connecting road , one time try the one that passes by Moses house when you want a real challenge to reach the North shore road.

28. Molly B.
    April 6th, 2011 12:33

My husband and I drove this road just last January. Thought it was a shortcut. (ha-ha) But on that road there were a couple of signs that I didn’t see on the video. I think it was just past the villas. The first said “I’d turn back now if I were you” and the next said “There be monsters ahead” Very funny. I wish I’d taken a picture, but I was too white-knuckled. Very fun trip. Can’t wait to go back.