Do you watch TV when you’re on STJ vacation?

The last thing we bought when we finished Bongo Bongo was a TV, and we bought what we could afford, and that wasn’t much. (And it took 3 credit cards swiped at PriceSmart to finally find one that was approved.)

But that 27″ Sony tube TV actually works well, no one ever complains – at least not to us – and we’ve never felt pressure to replace it, even though we’re probably the last people on St. John with a tube TV.

A friend just stayed at Bongo, and this is how he paid us back. Thanks Ben.

When you stay at a villa, do you even watch TV?

34 Responses to “Do you watch TV when you’re on STJ vacation?”

1. MikeS
    December 16th, 2013 06:30

Aside from the weather channel before snorkeling and the nascar race after … We never miss an episode on ” on deh fence”.

2. Linda
    December 16th, 2013 06:57

Seems that Ben is one very special friend! :)

3. xislandgirl
    December 16th, 2013 07:00

Almost never, and only if the weather is cruddy.
    We have stayed in many villas and never turned it on.

4. Jamie
    December 16th, 2013 07:38

We never watch TV on Vacation. We go to Skinny Legs to watch NFL games on Sunday.

5. BillVT
    December 16th, 2013 07:47

This is a great question! Me, never. But I get to look at our comment cards from Sunset Ridge Villas. The most frequently requested upgrade for our facility, aside from A/C, is an expanded cable package. We have TV’s in both our master suites and main buildings. It boggles my mind when I look at our view and think someone is missing this because they are watching “All My Children.”

6. Steve
    December 16th, 2013 07:52

When I was there during Hurricane Earl, I watched a lot of TV until the power went out.

7. NMS
    December 16th, 2013 08:20

Yes … not much and usually late in the evening, but yes.
    Even more so when we travel with our children.

8. Stepback
    December 16th, 2013 08:38

When we rent villas, we do like to have TV’s- but maybe that is because we have children with us. At the end of the day when the kids are beat from being in the sand and sun all day it is nice for them to kick back and chill in front of some mindless TV. Of course, the parents stay outside enjoying adult beverages and the warm island air!

9. Lauren
    December 16th, 2013 09:10

Sometimes…weather channel, if there is a winter storm brewing at home. ESPN if the boys want to watch March madness on our spring trips. But, mostly the kids :)

10. SteveV
    December 16th, 2013 09:32

…would depend on the view out the window…but…is there such a thing as a bad view on St. John?

11. PA Girl
    December 16th, 2013 10:08

Never watch TV on STJ because we prefer to be outside. I have friends and family, however, that consider it to be a necessity and expect premium channel packages as well.

12. Ben
    December 16th, 2013 10:41

Just looking out for your WAPA bill :)

13. Shannon
    December 16th, 2013 10:41

It rained most of the week the last time I was there, and heavily. So we did end up watching TV when we ran out of things we were interested in reading. But sitting in that villa reading or watching TV was still better than being at home. :)

14. Caribert
    December 16th, 2013 12:14

Several reasons I need a TV in the villa. Number one on the list, I have Tinitus and I have to have something on when I go to bed, or the ringing in my ears drive me crazy. So I turn on the TV, doesn’t matter much what is on, when we go to bed for the “white” noise. Oh…it’s extremely important to have a sleep timer on the TV.
    Also, I like to watch the local channel to see what sales are going on in town (mostly St. Thomas) and what other special activities that are offered. I still look out and enjoy the beautiful views of St. John….harder to see them at hight, but I still see them.
    Also for the weather, as stated above. So yes, I think it is important to have a TV in the villa….for me anyway.

15. Albert Hornbeck
    December 16th, 2013 12:14

Only watch on the last day to see what type of weather we’ll be heading back to….Al

16. tochin
    December 16th, 2013 12:45

I agree with StepBack. It’s more a convenience for my son to relax when he’s tired from the day than for the parents. We enjoy having a villa with a TV for that reason but the TV NEVER rules the vacation and if it doesn’t go on that is fine by me.

17. Steve
    December 16th, 2013 12:46

We never watch TV. Sometimes we’ll put a DVD in for the younger kids, but wee’re always outside.

18. Pam
    December 16th, 2013 13:09

Only to gloat when the weather is bad back home :-)

19. Mako
    December 16th, 2013 13:49

The only time we have EVER watched TV during a stay was during the monsoons of 2010. We turned the TV on to watch the weather while we drew up plans for an ark.

But I could definitely see the need for one if there are kids to entertain. Would recommend a BlueRay and a dozen each G and PG movies to go on the shelf with it.

That’s a nice LED TV. If you are looking for a nice Surround Sound system to go with it I could be convinced to stay at B2.

;)

20. corncouple
    December 16th, 2013 14:15

We enjoy watching a few shows in the evening to unwind before I nice deep island induced slumber :)

21. Jackie Johnson
    December 16th, 2013 14:35

As long as there is a working TV hooked up to cable or Sat–no need to upgrade. I take a quick look at sportcenter every morning and I peak at the weather channel.

Frankly its much more important to have a decent sound system with xm siruis that you can get through sat tv. Cant tell you the number of villas I have been at with just crappy little speakers or no outlet for music

22. Christine
    December 16th, 2013 16:01

Need to have it. We have two teenagers who liked to veg out in the evening in their rooms watching their favorite shows. We like watching movies and TV too at night, especially if it’s buggy out and we can’t sit outside.

23. Yez
    December 16th, 2013 16:12

I did a lot more reading than TV viewing. I agree that TV would be handy for kids. I didn’t stay in villas, but sometimes I’d watch TV at night (my hostess retires early). I liked the local ads, and on my last visit, one channel showed a vintage (’70s?) history of the USVI, over and over. That was great! I only cared about the weather because hurricane Sandy was making its way up the coast. On St. John, it is what it is (83°!), and the only “threat” on my visits would have been rain. :-)

24. joanne peters
    December 16th, 2013 17:55

we don’t watch TV shows but bring DVDs with us to watch in the evening before going to bed. Always take Pirates of the Caribbean and The Last Waltz and THe Festival Express for the music and sometimes The Grateful Dead Movie just for fun :)

25. Chicago Steve
    December 16th, 2013 18:48

In the evenings the screen is usually too blurry to watch for some reason…

26. Teresa
    December 16th, 2013 18:56

BillVT, nobody’s watching All My Children because it went off the air in 2011 ;)

We generally do not watch TV while we’re on STJ. I will occasionally flip on the news, which is how we found out Michael Jackson died in 2009…which made sense of the fact a few hours later Thriller was being blared in Cruz Bay.

We were also on island during the summer Olympics once so we watched TV in the evenings.

But out of around 110 days total that we’ve vacationed on STJ we’ve turned the TV on no more than 20 times I’d guess, if that.

27. John W.
    December 17th, 2013 22:14

We were so looking forward to watching the national championship game last January (and will be again this January), and of course the cable in our villa went out. Oh, well. Notre Dame got smoked anyway. That was the extent of our TV during our 7-day visit.

28. AquaGirl
    December 18th, 2013 00:37

We almost never watch TV on vacation and wouldn’t miss it if the villa didn’t have it. The only time we watched was on one trip we had many days of rain and I watched a few interesting animal shows on the cable TV.

29. Mary L
    December 18th, 2013 11:39

I never watch TV when I’m on STJ.

30. National hair gel expert
    December 18th, 2013 20:06

I watch the local news if I get a chance. I also watch the Spice channel.

31. Tom K
    December 19th, 2013 14:38

Congrats on the new acquisition, Jeff. The old tube Sony worked fine for our needs, just the news once every couple of days while we fixed breakfast before heading out to one of STJ’s fantastic beaches. I’m sure we will enjoy the new flat screen when we visit Bongo this April. Take care.

32. SOonthebeach
    December 20th, 2013 08:57

that Ben, what a nice friend ;-)

33. Ben
    December 22nd, 2013 17:26

Not really, but we did watch the women’s Olympic final last summer. And the STT news is hilarious!

34. Jon Miner