The last STJ day is always the best

St. John visitors say it over and over again.

“Our last day on St. John was the best day.”  “Hated to go.” “I cried when we got on the ferry.”

We’re not sure people say these things on the last day of a trip to Orlando, or Estes Park, or Paris.

Almost everybody says they reached total Zen on their final St. John vacation day.

Is that you?

21 Responses to “The last STJ day is always the best”

1. Dawn
    December 17th, 2013 07:46

I have to laugh because before we even get there, I’m talking about crying on the ferry when it’s time to go! I have to say our last day this November was our best day. I think you appreciate it so much more because it is the last. Can’t wait to get back!

2. Dave
    December 17th, 2013 08:12

That is my least favorite day. Usually you must be out of the villa by 10am. Then off to the ferry and the airport. What is fun about that? My favorite day is when you arrive at your villa for the first time after dark and it is too dark to see anything. Then you wake up the next morning and all of the magical views unfold in front of you.

3. Jo Ann
    December 17th, 2013 09:06

Ditto what Dave said.

4. corncouple
    December 17th, 2013 09:35

The ferry ride to St.john is always so joyful and exhilarating and the ride away from St.John, on our way home, is a bit sad. Happy having had the experience again, but I always stare into the dark blue water, and hope and pray it will all be there when we return on year later. T minus 191 days and counting…

5. Brian
    December 17th, 2013 09:35

I agree with Dave. The first and last days are too hectic. 2nd day is the best for me.

6. Scott
    December 17th, 2013 09:38

Yep, sure is

7. Megan
    December 17th, 2013 09:38

EVERY day on St. John is my favorite day, whether it be rain or shine. The island attitude makes it such a magical place. 2 months and counting…..and 6 months and counting…..it’s time for me to come home.

8. Eric63
    December 17th, 2013 10:35

Favorite day on St. John? – days 4-7 (we typically stay 8) – I’ve forgotten about work, recovered from the travel day, and schedule has adjusted to island time – do want you want when you want.

9. frequent visitor ron
    December 17th, 2013 10:55

Hey, we were there for only five hours last Wednesday during a cruise. Without question, those five hours were the highlight of the entire week. Great to just walk around Cruz Bay and stop by and say hi to Peter and Melissa at Kro-gu, Ruth and Faith at St John Spice, Linda at Pink Papaya and Wayne at Barefoot Cowboy Lounge. Can’t wait to come back in March.

10. milehighmark
    December 17th, 2013 11:33

We just left the island 4 days ago, so I can completely relate to this sentiment. Our last (non-travel) day was amazing this year and in years past. I’ve often said that the St. John ferry dock is the happiest place in the world when you arrive on island, and the saddest place when you are leaving. The thought of hopefully returning next December is the only cure for my island blues.

11. Helen
    December 17th, 2013 12:44

Antoher concur with Dave. Last day is the worst. Clearing the villa. Finding out that they again cancelled the Charlotte Amalie ferry. Watching all the happy people arriving while you sit there dejected and thinking abou tthe next time you can get there. Then you get to the airport and wait in line only find out your flight is late. It is definitiely not a good day.

12. Laura Hollister
    December 17th, 2013 13:40

No matter how long we are on island, 2 days before it is time to go “home” I start looking for excuses not to leave. Worked great last year – we were to come home the day winter storm ‘Nemo” was to hit the northeast. Darn, had to extend our stay :) !

13. Mako
    December 17th, 2013 15:33

My favorite day is the first day IF we can get there early enough. Hard (next to impossible) to do from DFW. But since we usually get there after dark then Dave’s theory holds oh so true.

The last day is the worst as we know we have to leave. My head is always busy coming up with ideas of what I can do to finance an extended/permanent stay (i.e. sell a car/house/kidney/wife).

14. Candi
    December 17th, 2013 16:03

I don’t cry, I bawl! Everyday on STJ is the best day, except for the last. But we always know we’ll be back. Mako – LOL.

15. J Lowe
    December 17th, 2013 16:38

I totally agree with everything everyone said. My husband has more than one picture of me with my bottom lip in the pout position. :(

16. AquaGirl
    December 18th, 2013 00:46

First and last days are definitely our least favorites. Day 2 is usually really good as you realize you are “here” and have the whole day in front of you to do whatever you want. We usually have a long leisurely breakfast on the porch of the villa and just take in the view and (hopefully) nice weather. We stay 2 weeks and I agree with the OP that the days in the middle can be super relaxing and fav days because you are in island mode and still have a good number of days left in the trip. I guess I have several favorite days on STJ!

17. Chicago Steve
    December 18th, 2013 21:07

The evening before we leave I always take one last swim and, floating in the warm water, looking up at the palm trees I think, “I’m here now and this is paradise… but once I get out of the water it’s over… time to pack and go home.” Getting out of that water on the last evening is the hardest thing to do.

18. Susan
    December 19th, 2013 09:40

One of the bartenders at BB explained this to me one time. He told me it is because “Even a bad day here is better than a good day anywhere else!”

19. Anthony
    December 19th, 2013 11:23

Anytime I am leaving STJ it is the worst day. Dec. 5th this year felt like my heart cracked in my chest and sank to my stomach. My best day is the first day and any of the following days until the day before it’s time to go. I hate that impending depression that follows leaving.

20. Agent Jay
    December 19th, 2013 15:12

We like to say a “Tropical Depression” is setting in when we leave. My husband gets so depressed, there are very few words spoken while riding on the ferry. Just dreams of the next time we will visit………four months and counting!!!

21. National hair gel expert
    December 22nd, 2013 15:44

Two trips ago it was one of the best days of the trip. We relaxed at the best western emerald beach before our flight and used their beach and bathrooms and the Swimming there was decent. The most recent trip the last day was the worst day of the trip, a little rainy off and on and we were rushing like chickens with our heads cut off,